Federal law allows Agencies to award sole source contracts to the SBA on behalf of an eligible 8(a) firm of their choice. Contracts can be awarded in limits up to $6.5 million for manufacturing NAICS codes and $4.0 million for all other contracts.
8(a) Benefits & Advantages:
- Streamlined acquisitions process
- Supports mission readiness…alleviates 60-90 days acquisition time
- Qualified contractor of choice
- Obtainment of 8(a) small business goals
- Expedited negotiations
How to award a streamlined 8(a) Sole Source Contract:
- The Government Program Manager (PM) develops a Statement of Work and secures funding.
- Having chosen Trinity to perform the work, the PM submits a Procurement Request to his/her agency Contracting Officer (CO).
- The CO sends an Offer Letter (including agency contact person’s name, telephone, e-mail address and FAX) and a Statement of Work (SOW) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org requesting permission to conduct sole source negotiations with Trinity. (Trinity will have already alerted the Business Opportunity Specialist to expect the package in order to expedite the process.)
- The SBA confirms eligibility of Trinity and authorizes the negotiations – usually within 48 hours.
- The CO sends Trinity a Statement of Work and a Request for Proposal (RFP) or Request for Quotation (RFQ).
- Trinity submits a proposal to the Government Program Manager and CO for evaluation.
- The CO negotiates with Trinity.
- Simplified Acquisition efforts do not require a technical proposal; the CO sends RFP to Trinity requesting cost proposal; upon receipt, CO negotiates cost and terms with Trinity.
- If the estimate exceeds the Simplified Acquisition Threshold, the CO sends RFP to Trinity requesting technical and cost proposals; upon receipt, CO negotiates cost and terms with Trinity.
- Upon completion of negotiations, CO prepares a contract award document and sends to Trinity for signature.
- Upon receipt of the fully executed contract from the CO, the contract period of performance begins at the stated date in the contract.
This entire acquisition process should be two weeks or less in duration.